Sunday, March 04, 2007

Choose Wisely...

For once, I have more blog topics than I care to bore my readers with. So my thoughts on the first two chapters of The Lamb's Supper will be postponed. I also will skip my thoughts on my proposed presidential campaign theme.

I spent most of today reading Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View by Gary Friesen. Oh, that didn't say much about it? Alright, the gist of the book is that God doesn't have an individual will for our lives. Instead we're called to obey God in what he commands, and live wisely by his principles in our choices. But Friesen argues that there's no "one right choice" to our decisions when there isn't a clear command. The author's four point summary of his points is:
  1. Where God commands, we must obey.
  2. Where there is no command, God gives us freedom (and responsibility) to choose.
  3. Where there is no command, God gives us wisdom to choose.
  4. When we have chosen what is moral and wise, we must trust the sovereign God to work all the details together for good.
His points aren't entirely revolutionary for me, but I tend to have strong "there is one exact choice" leanings. Friesen does a good job looking at how the Bible discusses decision making and how that differs from the typical American (evangelical protestant Christian?) view of God having a precise knowable will for each and every one of us. So that's my summary of 500 pages, much of which is spent discussing various Biblical texts.

For example, I'm looking for housing and a roommate. At the moment, I have no supernatural revelation from God about where to live - or with him. I have a few commands about what not to do (e.g. moving in with girlfriend = BadIdea). And then there's a collection of desires about what I'd like in my housing situation
  • Warm, dry, safe place to live
  • Place where I can host activities and have guests over
  • Cheap (economical) housing
  • Affordable housing
  • Somewhere near my work, church, and friends
  • Quiet relaxing environment
  • Financially stable roommates
  • Roommates who share my values
  • Trustworthy roommates (e.g. won't steal my stuff)
  • etc.
Many of these desires are based on biblical commands or principles. For example, affordable housing is based on the principle of living within my means. Cheap housing is based on my preference of saving money. But that preference can conflict with other values, for example, living near other friends, or having warm dry apartment, or living near work and friends.

Likewise, there's trade-offs in my selection of roommates. For example, do I prioritize hospitable roommates or ones who can consistently pay rents? If my roommates also value hospitality, then is it realistic to have a quiet relaxing environment?

The traditional view is that there is one right choice for my housing situation, and that if I seek God appropriately, that choice will become clear. The view Friesen supports is that I'm to determine values and trade-offs (e.g. hospitality, frugality, location, etc.) and make a decision (assuming, of course, I'm not violating any clear commands from God, such as "Gophers are evil.")

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Pete C said...

I may borrow this from you. I'm keen to see what sort of biblical support Friesen uses.

Also, how does he tackle the problem of knowledge/lack of? That is, I can only make a moral and wise decision based on the Christian ideals I'm aware of and the wisdom I've been given (if any). If I'm new to Christianity then there is a lot about Christian behavior I do not yet know. How can I make a right decision based on what I can not factor in?

The same goes for wisdom, how can we utilize wisdom we do not have? I'm going based on the idea that we do not have gallons of wisdom suddenly poured into us the moment we become a believer because if that were the case then I wouldn't have done a lot of the dumb things I have done. Is wisdom then dispensed as we need it, which I assume Friesen suggests, or is it a blessing that comes from some action on our part (reading the bible, praying for it, etc). Again, if we have not done whatever is required to gain wisdom, how can we incorporate that into our decisions?

For example, say a new believer learns of the freedom a Christan has. You don't have to wear a three piece suit to church if you don't believe it's right. Well cool, says he, jeans and a t-shirt it is! So happy in his freedom he wears his jeans and a t-shirt to my grandmas traditional Lutheran church and upsets the congregation between the standings and sittings and kneelings. It seems that according to Friesen, his choice would have been correct because as best he could, he made a decision that didn't go against the morals he was aware of, and to his knowledge was not unwise. Later, he reads... I can't remember exactly, but verses that talk about how we should limit our freedom for the benefit of other believers. How would Friesen explain that?

Over the last couple months I've been lightly wrestling with the question of how should be make decisions, when we should come to God for direction, etc, and have wondered if the decision making process looks like this:

1) If Gods will is explicitly make known to us, through biblical commandments or by him pushing us in a certain direction, we must obey. (Peter, if you read the bible and listen to your friends then you will see that my will is for you to not punch Alan in the face.)
2) If Gods will is not impressed upon us then he has given us freedom to do what we think is right, or what we want. (Peter, if you want to be a doctor when you grow up that's cool. Or a blacksmith, I can groove to that too. You know, whatever.)
3) Die and get to Heaven to see if you made the right decisions.

What do you think? Right, wrong, why?

AkuTyger said...

I never looked that deeply into my living arrangements in Lansing. I found my ideal apartment the year before I left, just on a whim. It was $475 a month plus electric and phone. It had parking and I could walk to the bus #1. I loved it and was sorry to leave it. Wish I could give you the number for the landlord...