Saturday, May 26, 2007

Honesty and Wit in Politics

I came across this article today. It's mostly a light-hearted essay about weird beach laws. But one of the quotes is from a mayor when asked about a law "prohibiting baby carriages from being parked on sand within 15' of a beach entrance":
"I can't fathom what the thought process was behind that one," said Mayor Adam Schneider, who did not know the law existed until a reporter questioned him on it. "We can do a pretty good job of looking foolish when we enforce `real' ordinances, let alone something like this. I just hope I don't get embarrassed and find out I voted for it in the past."
I like the mayor. He's aware of political reality (looking stupid, weird processes, possibility of embarrassment); he's not too proud - he can admit the law seems bizarre; and he's smart enough to realize he might have voted for it. Politics would be a lot more fun if more people had his wit and honesty.

1 comment:

AkuTyger said...

I always liked the law about ducks that cannot wear pants. There is a whole website devoted to these things. http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/michigan/