Friday, November 30, 2007

Vent, No Duct?

So one of the vents in my room always pours out cold air. I finally got tired of it and took off the vent. Amazingly, it's just a cavity reaching into the bowels of my floor - there's no duct work, or even any evidence that there ever was any duct work. I assume there's a disconnected duct somewhere since when the furnace is on, it pushes enough air into the floor to push cold air out the vent.

But what I can't figure out is how do I end up with a vent but no duct?

My place isn't exactly new - has nobody else noticed this problem for years on end?

Or perhaps a random construction accident took out the duct work, but they just left a random vent?

Or maybe they just accidentally knocked a hole in the wall at some point and decided to cover it up with a vent? (But then how come it actually leaks cold air...?)

1 comment:

AkuTyger said...

Well, any hole will move air through it. Air moves. It's a simple physical fact. That is funny though. Did you find any long lost treasures in the wall? I lost lots of stuff down ducts in my lifetime, some of it was worth something. Maybe some nice old pennies? If not, you should leave something behind for the next tenant or one many years down the road to discover this wonderous lack of duct work.