Friday, July 18, 2008

Heaven Has No Lost Opportunities

At the moment, I'm surrounded by change. I'm moving, friends are leaving, and oh, yes, by the way, my wedding is around the corner.

Life is change. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

Every day is a passing opportunity. One less Halo match that can be played with friends. One less chance to see the world. One less chance to share a kind word with a friend. (I suppose it's also good - one less chance to disrespect one's friends, but I never keep count that way.) One less day to be young.

Heaven won't be like that. There will always be one more day to beat my friends at Halo, or travel the fjords in Norway, or surprise a long-time friend. In fact, I'll know everyone, eventually. My memory better improve, though, because I'm not very good with billions of names. A thousand or so is about my limit.

It's strange. I hate change, and yet it really helps me reflect on what is important to me: What am I trying to accomplish in life? What opportunities do I have now that won't later?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

One ancillary question: what will a game called "Halo" look like in Heaven? I'm imagining frisbees...

Jeremy Schneider said...

Funny how it sneaks up on you - getting married has really given me [well us :)] lots of opportunity to think about what's really important... where we want to go, what to do. We've been doing morning devos from a cheesy "couple's bible" someone gave us... and although i first thought it was cheesy it's actually given us lots of launching pads for great conversations about topics like this. Sometimes it's hard to let go of where I am right now... but it's exciting to think what God still has in store for us!

AkuTyger said...

Travel! Follow your gut! Go to all those places you always put off thinking "I'll do this when I have more money, when I pay off the car, when I'm not taking classes, when I have a better job, when I need a vacation..." and then suddenly you're married and have kids and a mortgage and you're stuck. I'm not complaining, just remembering. I put off a lot of things and now I won't get to do them.