Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Choice Word (or two)

So I promised a blog entry on tongues a long, long time ago. Mostly, I've been thinking about this: What is my attitude toward people with my tongue?

I've been pondering the following quote:
Fundamentally, we expect words to reveal the thoughts of others. When they do not, we resent the deception: We use words such as manipulator, liar, deceiver, flatterer, or hypocrite to describe those who misrepresent their thoughts, desires, or intentions.

Trust essentially asks two questions: Who do you represent yourself to be? Are you who you represent yourself to be? Perhaps the tragedy of words is that we so easily cloak ourselves in grand ideals of peace, love, and joy and only in time are our true, less noble, motives revealed.


The other thought I've been thinking about is this one: How I treat people (like the Comcast customer service representatives) is a direct reflection of how I'm treating God. I cannot honor God while using my speech and writing to tear others down and disrespect them. My attitude toward people is a reflection of my estimation of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm. So what does it mean if you use your words to represent someone you want to be?

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I've been interacting with Comcast service reps (many of them, unfortunately, without success), and while I'm generally quite civil, my internal attitude toward them is not necessarily so. This is particularly the case when they say, essentially, that there is absolutely nothing they can do for me.

I have a very fair-weather relationship with my service reps, I see.