Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Chinese Torture, err, Modern Medicine

The difference, apparently, in anesthesia. Ancient Chinese used to remove toenails without to torture. Modern doctors first repeatedly stab you with a needle to numb the toe, then operate. When all is said and done, I strongly prefer modern medicine.

Thoughts from today:
Sometimes the "surely it will get better" thought isn't right, and there is a reason that modern medicine is a huge advancement over ancient times.

Experts often know more than novices. I shouldn't pretend to be an expert where I'm not.

Experts are tempted to abuse their expertise for personal gain.

Some problems take an expert to solve.

Some problems take an expert to know that it takes an expert to solve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some problems take an expert to know that it takes an expert to solve.

Does this apply recursively? It seems that it should. There ought to exist a problem for which it requires an expert to tell me that it would take an expert to tell me that it takes an expert to solve the problem. How else would I know which problems "take an expert to know that it takes an expert" unless an expert told me so...

Katie said...

Yeah recursiveness! I am amused by this exchange.

I fall victim to feeling like I have to be an expert at everything. I realize that's unrealistic, but the temptation to always know, to always be ready, to always help, etc, is a dangerous one for some people. It's an odd manifestation of the control-freak phenomenon. I'm starting to realize that for some things in my own life, I should make use of the resources that God places in my life...namely, other people. Experts, if you will.

Anonymous said...

How do you know the person is an expert? If 'it takes one to know one,' either we have to become experts of trust two people who say the other is an expert. In that case, I'm gonna need a lot of help.