Monday, July 02, 2007

Security

So lately I've been thinking about security in life. A couple friends of mine have gotten robbed. Others have unexpectedly lost loved ones.

On the practical side, I've been thinking about writing a will.

On the philosophical side, I've been contemplating what it means to not lay up treasure where moths and rust (not to mention taxes, thieves, and incompetence) can get to it.

What does it mean to use money for good? What does it mean to stand up for justice? I was reading today about companies that work change Google results to hide slander from bloggers. And perhaps for the first time, it struck me: That's a good use of technical skill: Working to protect the reputations of people.

1 comment:

T said...

I came across this post just before reading yours ... funny how things line up.

And it's interesting how you take the Google-result-changing as overcoming slander ... I and my somewhat overactive paranoid tendencies would wonder if it was burying slander or truth. It's good to hear your thoughts.