Monday, July 09, 2007

Where Treasure, There Heart

My garden (such as it is) is flourishing. It's even attracting vicious, evil wasp type creatures. (Alright, they might be bees, but I think they are wasps.) It's been an good experience for me.

Someone (here?) was talking about how divorced we are from our need from rain. My own 20 square foot patch of lawn makes me a lot more aware of how dependent the plants are on water - and how I can't bring water - any water - down from the sky. The hose is great, but it's just not like a good rain storm. And I find myself glad to see the rain because I know it means my plants won't be drooping or dying.

I'm finding myself more grateful for the rain - and gaining (I think) a deeper appreciation of the God sending rain on both the good and the evil - how deeply beneficial rain is.

The other change I've noticed is that I'm more aware of my garden: I notice when people step in it, or my wedding table decoration plant died from heat and dehydration, or it doesn't drain right. I take the time to fix it - and it's hard to let it fall apart. I've been thinking about Jesus talking about our heart being where our treasure is: Not that our treasure goes where our heart is, but that our heart is where our treasure is. If I put time, money, and effort into the garden, my heart goes toward the garden. Likewise for politics or computer games.

[The obvious application - putting effort toward God - isn't as simple as I'd like since I show a bad tendency of treasuring religious effort and show rather than God, but that's another post.)

In other news, I survived my tumble down the stairs, and discovered that I slide rather gracefully. Sadly, though, my body isn't impervious to bruising.

1 comment:

Jeremy Schneider said...

interestingly i was recently out in las vegas (doing some work for a local water-related organization) and phoenix - and in places like that the awareness of water is pretty different. it was an interesting experience; so much campaigning to raise awareness about "water conservation".