Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Post, Post!

So my friend who complained a couple weeks ago that I don't post weekly seems to have had a very valid point. Unfortunately, I don't have much interesting to say at this point. Or maybe more to the point, little of it seems to blog very well. If people are suitable bored, they are welcome to create their own blog for me with it's own fictional posts.

Anyway, one quick thought: I've been reading through Ezekiel (yes, one of the major prophets that despite being major, nobody seems to know aside from prophetic utterances about Gog and the end of the world). So far, the first thirty chapters have nothing to do with the end of the world (sorry to disappoint people), but it's striking how often God says "I will do X, and then you will know that I am God." X ranges from "wipe you out and destroy you" to "return you to the land and make the nations around you serve you", but the formula of:
God acts in a significant way, and then a group knows that he is truly God.
has me thinking about what it takes for me to evaluate my world view. What would it take for me to become, say, an open theist? Or a Calvinist? Or a Muslim?

2 comments:

Eric Henry said...

I've been reading Ezekiel as well. It's actually rather boring to me since it seems like the same thing repeated over and over and over... Do you get that same thing?

InfoCynic said...

"Ezekiel (yes, one of the major prophets that despite being major, nobody seems to know aside from prophetic utterances about Gog and the end of the world)"

Editor's note: blogger's comment form really sucks for allowed HTML. I can't use blockquote or q to properly designate a quote. Lame. I can't even use em here, but instead am stuck using i. Down with crappy markup!

You forgot "some vision about a wheel" (cf. African spirituals) and "something about some dehydrated calcified tissue".

I also bet that in a survey of evangelicals, you could easily pass off several of Elijah's works and prophecies as Ezekiel's.