Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Brief Interlude

Well, I've made very little progress pondering influence, power, and servant leadership of late, so that post is not happening tonight. I have been thinking about
He who answers before listening, that is his folly and his shame
after some rather spectacular failures on my part to listen adequately lately before jumping in with my thoughts, but I'm not feeling too much like embarrassing myself tonight.

So instead I'm posting a paraphrase of a friend's comment. (Reposted with permission; details changed to protect his identity from the hordes of online stalkers who visit this blog.) He's 35, a passionate liberal, especially about environmental issues. (Also posted with permission.)
Have you ever set back and pondered if you are accomplishing your rhetoric? I remember attending rallies and conferences in college where we talked about how America needed to change. How our policies were destroying us from within. Fifteen years later, I don't know if I'm really pursuing a radical new America. Would the college students today recognize me as setting a standard for progress? I feel too comfortable in my house with my wife and children. For the first time, I recently considered buying a gas-guzzling SUV for family trips up north to see my parents. My house looks like most of my neighbors. The only time I really know their political stance is during elections when signs litter our lawns. I wonder if the Republicans are just more honest about enjoying flagrant wealth and consumerism while I protest too much. Am I really different than them?
I think the comment stuck in my mind because I've been playing with the same questions with my faith. The Bible is filled with radical vision for life. Light upon the hill. Ambassadors for God. Holy priests. We talk about people seeing God through us. And yet when the day to day routine of life kicks in, I wonder how differently I really live.

I wonder if I am just fooling myself with fancy language while not really making the necessary commitment to really changing the way I live, the way I talk, the way I think, the way I interact to genuinely know Jesus. In some ways I think it would be easier to be a pastor - then, at least, I would get paid to "be spiritual". It might not be any more godly, but at least people could say "Oh him? He's a pastor - he's really working to accomplish something for God." If I'm not going to live the authentic Christian life, a false one that earns the praise of men seems like a really attractive substitute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The stories I've heard seem to indicate that being a pastor provides a nice "in" to spiritual conversations (whether wanted or not): "So, what do you do?" At points I am envious, as the whole "being a witness" thing would be so much easier. State your occupation, then proceed to have fun and generally not be a narrow-minded jerk. Good deed done.

I watched Hotel Rwanda for the first time tonight, and it really got me thinking about money, possessions, the meaning of the parable of the shrewd manager, etc. I want to learn to use resources for the greatest good (though garnering the resources is the first step I'm working on ;). I don't want to live my life in a consumerist haze; I don't want all of the latest technology; I don't want to spend what I have only on me and [my loved ones / the people I am socially obligated to give stuff to].

So, yeah, I seem to be thinking about the same things.