Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama

For those of you who aren't word geeks, palindromes are phrases that read the same backwards and forwards. They are very cool...such as the one in the title.

I ended up in a very neat conversation a few nights ago. Among the topics that came up was the question "What is the gospel?" My high school western history teacher had two pet questions: Why? and So What? And in order to answer those, one usually needs to know who, what, and how. I generally don't like the way people use the same religious words to communicate vastly different ideas. Actually, the practice bugs me in general, but especially with theology. Sloppy communication.

Technically gospel means "good news". Isn't that helpful? Okay, maybe this quote from an early Christian orator is more helpful. Emphasis mine.
Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.
Two points stand out to me. First, the definition of the gospel is of critical importance to the speaker. Salvation (from something or another) is entire contingent on holding to the gospel; the consequence of not holding onto it (or getting it wrong) is pointless belief.

Second, the phrase 'that Christ died for our sins': It is another one of those religious phrases where everyone uses the same words but means different ideas. So maybe the question is not "What is the gospel?" but "What exactly does it mean that Christ died for our sins?" and "So what does that mean for me?" See - high school history teachers are cool.

And while we're on the topic, here's an interesting post about church I stumbled across.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hi Alan,
Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the gospel have to do with palindromes? ;-)

Al said...

Lindsey...um, nothing? If you are looking for the underlying meanings in the title, the concept of 'plan' and 'a grand accomplishment' - e.g. Panama, kingdom of God is more the connection I had in mind.

Jason...glad you found my blog. I definately agree that the phrase "Kingdom of God" is often found near or in verses with the gospel. I'm not sure I agree though, that the proximity makes the two terms interchangable, or broadens the definition of the gospel. I think being part of the kingdom of heaven is certainly a consequence of the gospel, and wouldn't take real issue with rephrasing "receive reconciliation with God" portion of the gospel as "become members of God's kingdom"

I think the gospel has to be more specific - much more - though, than simply the idea that the kingom has partially come. Paul is furious when people teach a different gospel: "If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!" (Galations 1)

What qualifies as a different gospel and justifies such passion against a viewpoint? I have a hard time seeing that the different takes on the role and state of the kingdom of heaven justify Paul's attitude.

Even if someone were to say "Well, actually, the kingdom of heavin isn't here yet, it will come when we die and join God in heaven." - is that the viewpoint that Paul is so strongly condemning?

I appreciate your thoughts...it be a great topic to dialog about sometime as definitions and means can take a lot of time to clarify over written mediums. Maybe some Thursday. :)