Thursday, March 16, 2006

Of Speakers and Microphones

I received one particularly thought provoking reply to my last post on disqualification . Ok, I received several, but one I've been particularly thinking about. Here's an excerpt.
...the issue I would raise is that of disqualification. Thinking on the ministry of Jesus, I can pick out numerous examples of forgiveness, both related to general sins and even sexual sins...Sin doesn't disqualify you, otherwise no one would ever be saved, that is why Jesus came in the first place.
In contemplating the comment, I realized that I didn't talk much about the relational verses role issues that disqualification raises.

Here's what I mean by that:
The relational aspect has to do with my relationship with God. How am I connected to him? Not at all? Enemy? As a slave? Servant? Child? The role aspect has to do with our authority to speak and minister on God's behalf, especially publicly.

I think our relational aspect is fairly fixed as either a Christian or non-Christian. Occasionally non-Christians become Christians, and certainly we draw closer or further from God. But the foundation on which we connect with God is generally constant, regardless of sin.

In contrast, a higher bar is required to be "bigwig" representative of God. God has higher lifestyle expectations from those who lead and teach his people. Teachers are judged more strictly by God; they bear a responsibility not just for their own lives, but for the manner in which they influence others.

Here's a few thoughts on the qualifications regarding pastors...although I would argue they should apply to the leaders overseeing any significant public ministry (e.g. parachurch operation).
He must manage his own family well
How does a man treat his wife and children? Not in just in public, but in the privacy of his home?
above reproach
A catch-all category that could probably allow lengthy discussion about what is above reproach. I would certainly include 'does not break marriage vows', 'does not abuse children', and 'does not embezzle money' on the list.
He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace...
I think it interesting that Christian leaders are expected to have a good reputation in the eyes of others (including non-Christians). They may not be liked, but the majority of people who know the leader will acknowledge respect or a grudging admiration for him despite their disdain.

I don't think America very consistently holds it's pastorate to these standards...I wonder what would happen if we did. I'm wondering how I'd handle the issue in my church if the need arose...

No comments: