Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Of Hammers and Chisels

It is with no small irony that I note this CNN article about Delay resigning from Congress. It's interesting to watch how the scandal has played itself out from assurances of innocence to fundraising to silence and now to resignation, officially due to "having enough" and to put less pressure on family. Meanwhile, Republican officials comment on what a great leader he was. I don't know about Delay specifically (although what I've seen certainly suggests his guilt), but I do get a little tired of the constant political charade. Has anyone ever thought about commenting "You know, he was really effective at accomplishing our agenda because he excelled at bribery and extortion...we'll miss his results, but we can't have his methods publicly associated with us" as a resignation commentary?

I also have been contemplating this blog about how acceptance and criticism should work together in the context of community. I like the concept. Implementation...well...challenging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever thought about commenting "You know, he was really effective at accomplishing our agenda because he excelled at bribery and extortion...we'll miss his results, but we can't have his methods publicly associated with us" as a resignation commentary?

:D Thanks for the news... I've been out of the loop lately. And seeing you snark like that has dramatically brightened my morning.

*still snickering*

Anonymous said...

Alan, I'm shocked! Although, I'm thinking you are reveling in this moment. :p

I think Tom Delay just got tired of people slandering him (like you seem to be doing). I don't think his actions suggest anything of the sort of him being guilty. He has been rather forth-right to the media and his constituents, and I don't believe he is hiding anything.

Seriously, if you have no clue what he has done, how can you suggest he bribed and exhorted, among other things? He did a lot of accomplishments, and I, for one, am sorry to see him go. I think he did a lot of good. I don't know if there is anyone else in the Senate (becoming Majority leader) who will compare to the high integrity and moral standards he has. Maybe there is, but I haven't seen it so far. Then, again, I haven't been keeping up on the new leadership changes either. Sorry, I just had to take a stance. ~Dana