Monday, September 03, 2007

Llama Economics

So I made a trip to lamafest this weekend. (Yes, lamafest is the correct grammar; llama is a type within the lama genus. And since the festival also included alpacas, it is properly called lamafest.)

I had a good time getting to hang out with the lama farmers and just hearing them talk about their craft. It's a bit stunning, though, to walk around at all the custom craft items which usually cost $30-50, although some larger pieces of art cost much, much more.

Some factoids:
  • You can purchase your own pregnant alpaca for $20,000-25,000.
  • Shearing a lama (yearly) yields around 10lbs of wool.
  • Lama have 1 baby, or "cria", per year.
  • For alpaca, Internet suggests fleece yields $20-40/lb, or $160/lb for yarn
I'm still trying to figure out if it's profitable to get into the lama business. It's a bit troubling to me that the primary value of alpaca is currently breeding them since there is a short supply of them. That is, selling alpaca doesn't seem like a stable business model since unlike, say, food, there's not a need for an on-going supply of alpaca. It also seems very expensive to get into: One needs shelter, land, transport, vaccinations, veterinary visits, time at the shows, etc., etc.

On the plus side, one can get a lama pet for a couple hundred bucks, which seems like a very attractive option for a furry self-propelled lawn-mower. They also don't smell, generate fertilizer, make wool, and hum. I suppose that's not bad for a pet.

There are also miniature lama, I discovered -- I suppose for small lawns and indoor pets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You left out the part about llamas spitting - which they will do unless trained not to. Even then, they might if they're mad at you. I am not a fan of llamas, but since I hope to make money off of them someday, I'll try to fake it. And you're right, about the only way to make money from llamas is by selling babies or selling breedings, and I don't see how that can continue...