Friday, January 20, 2006

He Who Answers Before Listening...


For the record, let me state that starting a review of my VIBs (very important books) was a bad idea, since it seems to be resulting in my being more attentive to my failings in these areas. Today's book is about listening, for example, and I've spent most of the week noticing ways that I'm really bad at actually listening to others. Sigh. I should pick happier books, like '10 Ways to Appreciate Yourself More.'

Anyway, Listening for Heaven's Sake is a book I picked up about eight years ago, and really stuck with me. I tend to think of it as technical book on the skill of listening. By technical book, I mean it is primarily informational, and thus can be used equally effectively for good or evil.

Mostly the book is a "how to listen to others" book which talks about a lot of practicals. Much of it is common sense, but it's put in a very nice logical and orderly format, which I appreciate. Actually, given how much trouble many people I know have at listening, perhaps it is not so common sense.

(For the curious, the book is done by the same people who did Rational Christian Thinking, which is another set of ideas which has significantly impacted me. I didn't exposed to the ideas in a book, though, so I'm not sure I'll cover it here. Maybe later if people bug me enough. :))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"By technical book, I mean it is primarily informational, and thus can be used equally effectively for good or evil."

I love this definition! I think my tech writing class last year would have loved it, as well. ;)

The book sounds quite interesting, as well.