Tuesday, August 16, 2005

15 Minutes of Fame

Some famous - and probably white and dead - guy said something like this:
Give me fifteen minutes to talk with a stranger, and I can tell you what he cares about.
I don't remember the exact point, but the gist was that we naturally talk about that which is important to us. One pastor (Piper?) commented that we naturally worship in three ways:
1. We admire: We're stunned to watch Elway through the last minute touch down.
2. We tell others: "You've got to come watch this pass by John Elway."
3. We mimic: We go out and play football in the park.
(I might be wrong about the first item.)
I'm not sure I exactly buy the first quote - I think there's a lot of reasons we don't talk about what we truly love (fear leaps to mind). But the second point catches me: When we love, we naturally talk about our loves. Two guys at work just had children, and a quick query will get them gushing.

I suppose I've been thinking lately about what my conversations naturally revolve around. Am I more excited to talk about the latest computer game, or what God's been doing around me? Am I saddened by the hesitation and fear I feel when God comes up? Or am I secretly encouraged when wisdom dictates a quieter approach?

I suppose there are two reasons I tend to speak of God less enthusiastically than other topics: One is lack of love. The other is fear. Do I love him enough to face and overcome my fears? Do I even want to overcome my fears?
There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

No comments: