Saturday, August 27, 2005

On Dance

My hypothesis: Some things in life work poorly if done half-heartedly. Salsa dancing, for example. If I'm going to go salsa dancing, it does very little good to go there half-heartedly, sulk in a corner, snidely comment on every topic, and avoid being dragged out on the dance floor. Well, little except ruin the experience for my friends.

The reality of salsa dancing is that going is a commitment to something bigger: To making a fool of myself (no, I don't believe all the good dancing who argue that no one notices or everyone struggles through it - I'm not a big fan of cliche comforts), to being a student of dance, to being cheerfully gracious at being social, and such.

I wonder how much knowing God is like salsa dance. I tend to approach God something like being dragged to salsa dancing when I'm sick and tired. I'm grumpy, resistant, and hard to impress. Honestly, I'm amazed God wants to see me at all when I'm in that mood. I don't think I would.

And yet knowing God is a whole other world. When I explore him instead of sulking in the corner - I'm stunned by who he is. Actually, I'm usually pretty impressed by him even when I'm sulking in my hole at the edge of the club. Knowing God certainly means a large amount of falling down - and asking help from those who know better. How do you pray in private? Why do you pray that way in public? How did God lead you in deciding to date your girlfriend? What do you see in my life that concerns you?

My regular salsa dancing friends are much, much better than I am at dance. But they are still learning, although I often can't even pick up on their errors. But they enjoy the dance. They talk style, technique, and rhythm. And they enthusiastically invite others along. They aren't haughty about their skills, but quick help me along the way. Not a bad model for an attractive relationship with God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that mean you are going to go Salsa dancing tonight? :)

I think knowing God is more like riding a very fast, frantic rollar coaster. ;) The most terrifying part (for those who greatly fear heights) is the slow climb up the initial hill. Then, after an uncomfortable moment of dread as the train slows to a halt at the top, you suddenly find yourself diving straight toward the Earth at horrific speeds and all you have left to rely on is your faith in physics to prevent you from an early, messy demise. It is only then, as you float, free-falling in that split second of time, that you are finally, truly free.

Victory belongs to the bold.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud you went salsa dancing! It's a VERY intimidateing dance especially for the guy because theoreticaly you all are suppose to lead...course that means we women have to relinquish control every once in a while. ;) I too find a relationship with God much like Salsa dancing...or tango actually. It takes giving up total control of the lead while at the same time using every bit of what ever has been taught to you for it to work well.