Saturday, July 16, 2005

Division and Multiplication, err, Unions

So a theme word of this last week has been ecumenical. About the unity of the church, how all (or at least most) Christian faiths are truly Christian, about all Christian paths being equally good.

It's strange: I think many of my friends have a fundamental attraction to the concept of unity in a way that I don't quite resonate with. Partly, I suppose, I don't feel terribly disunited with the people who have different practices in their faith. Partly I suspect I'm a bit jaded on the verses about unity.

Partly I don't think as many churches or 'Christian' faiths are truly Christ's followers as we would like to think. Despite the similarities in language and concepts, I think people have very different answers to two questions:
1. Who is God, and what is his relationship with Jesus?
2. How are we made acceptable to God that we may freely approach his presence?
I would guess many don't consider question 2 as an essential part of the definition of Christianity, which makes it much easier to see most churches as being Christian (since I think it's on question 2 that most of the differences occur).
I also think about one of Jesus' teachings:
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
Somehow simply claiming Jesus as Lord is not sufficient for Jesus to accept us, and thus I'm uneasy with simply answering question 1 with "Jesus is God" and ignoring #2. It probably doesn't help that I think the Bible answers #2 pretty clearly either.

On the more practical side of unity, here's a few questions:
- Would charismatics be willing to give up the public practice of tongues and healing to be at the same churches as those who don't have the same view of the Spirit?
- Would Catholics be willing to change their views on communion and the Pope to join Protestant churches?
- Would conservatives follow women pastors to promote unity?
- What beliefs would we sacrifice to be part of a church? When we would consider leaving that church? What does this say about how our priorities?

No comments: