Friday, July 22, 2005

In The Image of God

I had a conversation with a friend - let's call him Frank - recently about how he's trying to build a friend's (say Beth) self-esteem.

The conversation got me thinking. I'm not terribly comfortable with the whole "if Beth just had more self-esteem, she would be happier" line of thought. I'm uneasy with the self-focus, and it's tendency to white-wash very real issues going on in our lives. For example, I'm doubtful that Beth's alcoholic escapism from loneliness will truly be solved by more esteem. Glancing around, it's painfully obvious (I hope) that people both have many evils committed against them and perpetrate many evils upon others...some evils are more obvious than others. Thinking highly of ourselves when we commit so much evil seems idiotic.

On the flip side, I think we easily loose sight of the gifts and talents that God has given us - that we are created it God's image. I think it's appropriate to recognize that God has given us gifts and we can have a certain confidence in ourselves as a result. When I use a Craftsmen wrench, I don't gingerly test it against the bolt for fear the wrench will shatter; I confidently twist. Why? Because Craftsmen tools are quality. Likewise, the people who are, say, talented writers can recognize that gift and not be constantly worrying about the quality of their writing. (It's interesting Biblically how much the concept of respecting people goes hand in hand with our being made in God's image.)

Self-esteem discussions make me nervous because I'm uncertain what I'm doing: Am I'm expressing confidence and respect in people that reflects itself in a humble confidence, or further inspiring an arrogant independence? What am I accomplishing with my treatment of people, and is it what I want to be communicating?

P.S. I'm experimenting with an idea that a favorite author of mine uses in writing stories. He modifies the details (names, age, problems) so that the person one envisions is not the one he is thinking about. Most of the details above are purely arbitrary to illustrate my points.

No comments: