Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Moldy Hamburger Buns

Okay, so this story isn't for the squeamish. Wait, who am I kidding? Anyway, was eating hamburgers tonight and half way through the middle of the second one, I look down at my bun and realize the blue-white spot near my thumb with a bite on either side isn't wheat dust from the bun, but moldy bread. What can I say? I'm a bit slow. (Note to self, check food from friends regularly for signs of mold before they play many pranks.)

Two other thoughts (don't worry, I will relate these) I was contemplating. First, I tend to be really nervous about loosing my watch when I'm driving in a car with my arm out the window. I don't know why. I've never lost my watch - or anything similar - out a window. My watch doesn't regularly fall off, if ever. And it's only worth $20 or $30.

I'm also very nervous around heights - somewhat because of vertigo, but mostly because I'm very acutely aware that a single misstep could send me lunging over the railing. It's not like railings have ever broken around me. Nor do I tend to just randomly step off into space. But somehow I'm very aware of the potential.

It's strange, though, how much potential danger I don't really care about. I'm often probably one mistake - or less - from electrocuting myself. I'm about one brake failure away from a major car crash. And while I'm aware intellectually of these issues, they don't really bother me the way that heights or loosing my watch do. It vaguely reminds me of those rich people who are so afraid of death that they live in a completely sterile environment, away from every possible danger they can imagine.

The flip side of all this is how many dangers I really don't care about. In so many ways, I'm more attuned to my physical and financial wellbeing than I am my spiritual wellbeing. I worry about loosing my watch, but do I give serious consideration to how I spend my time? To what movies I watch? To how I'm interacting with my roommate?

(Incidentally, I did finish the hamburger after removing the moldy piece of bread. It was delicious. If it makes me sick, there will be another witty piece here as soon as I recover.)

No comments: