Friday, September 16, 2005

I'm an Idiot...And Other Boring Stories

Well, in my never ending goal of catering to my readers (<-- a joke, Mike), I've decided to post a couple self-humiliating stories. For some reason people seem to appreciate these.

Sob story one: I'm an idiot. Over the past eight weeks or so I've been realizing how much influence I let a handful of people have over me in certain environments. I feel like Pavlov's dog. Let's take a hypothetical straw man - say, Stan. For some reason, some criticism Stan made in high school has stuck with me. I don't know why I care about Stan's opinion. It's not like he's especially insightful or close. Somehow, though, I remember that he commented how nervous I was around him. And now whenever I endup at an event with Stan, my mind jumps to pondering if I'm acting nervous. I spend the rest of the night trying to maintain a coherent line of thought and not jumping back to mulling over whether or not I'm being normal. And then Stan leaves and I relax and life returns to normal.

It's strange. I doubt that Stan even remembers the comment. I doubt that Stan even cares. I really doubt that anyone else cares. Worse yet, I know better. Yet retraining the patterns is incredibly difficult. I'm glad that I don't have many Stan's in my life - and glad that I don't often see them. See now they remind me not only of how nervous I am, but what an idiot I am for allowing this line of thought to have control in my life for so long.

Sob story two: Sometimes being shopping alone at Meijer @ 10p on a Friday night is just really lonely.

Hrm, I need a happy cheerful story...I actually had one, too, but I seem to have forgotten it. Maybe that will be tomorrow's goal.

And I shouldn't leave us all without one serious theological thought...
I've been thinking about what it means that Jesus was tempted in every way, just as we are. One thought: Jesus knows the attractiveness of sin. And he knows why a sin is particularly attractive to us in our life and our place.

2 comments:

Mike said...

An idiot? Nay, I say you are perfectly normal. I think each of us have those types of people / situations in our lives.

Be it the stumbling block or the steping stone, it is what it is, and will impact you in either way you let it.
---

I enjoy these jokes you toss in there for me. What a guy!

Anonymous said...

for me X girlfriends's seem to make really great "stan"s. (Not that I've dated any guys, just trying to work with your post.) Always a little wierd being around them.