Friday, September 16, 2005

Mercury poisoning

So today I learned about mercury poisoning. Here's a few of the things I learned:
- Mercury contaminates just about anything it touches.
- Mercury vaporizes when vacuumed, creating a toxic cloud.
- Mercury, spilled and vaporized, makes one's home almost unlivable.
- Mercury is especially dangerous to small children.
- Mercury is present in small glass thermometers, which are breakable.
- Mercury is one of those substances I should talk to poison control about.
- I don't have the number for poison control.

Don't ask how me how I learned all of the above. But I was thinking about how mercury is like sin.
- A little sin is toxic.
- Sin not only hurts me, but it hurts those closest to me.
- Sin is toxic, regardless of whether or not I realize the danger.
- Sin contaminates what it touches.
- Sin is made worse by my attempts to clean it up.
- Sin requires professional cleanup.

It's late. I should wrap all of this into a cool parable. Maybe a story about how I was an idiot and broke a thermometer and caused my apartment to be evacuated. But I don't have the coherency to be that clever. I'm also working through some thoughts I've been thinking about loyalty to a group verses groupthink. Remind me to post it.

No comments: